Rhinoplasty is one of the most preferred surgeries among aesthetic surgeries in our country. Aesthetic operations are performed for functional purposes. Different goals can be determined for surgery, such as correcting nasal deformities, giving the nose a natural aesthetic appearance and solving breathing problems.
Surgeries aimed at eliminating breathing problems during surgery performed for aesthetic purposes are called Functional Rhinoplasty. Nasal curvatures, fractures, cracks and deformities caused by accidents, blows, injuries can also be removed with nasal aesthetic operations.
Rhinoplasty , which is called rhinoplasty in medical language, is an aesthetic operation performed to treat the existing appearance and functions of the nose, where the bone and cartilage tissue in the nose is reshaped to give a new appearance.
- How is rhinoplasty surgery decided?
- How is rhinoplasty surgery performed?
- What is done after rhinoplasty surgery?
- Are the results of rhinoplasty surgery permanent?
- When does the patient return to social / working life?
Rhinoplasty can be applied to people who are not satisfied with the appearance of their nose or to repair damages caused by accidents and various diseases. Therefore, the first step of aesthetic nose surgery is to examine the patient by the doctor, to convey his complaint and request to the doctor, and to determine the problems in the nose by the doctor. However, after the examination, it can be decided what kind of aesthetic improvement can be made for the nose.
The patient’s face type, weight, facial features, eye and chin distance are also important in terms of what kind of nose structure will be more appropriate. Thanks to special software, the nose type suitable for the face type of the person is displayed on the computer screen and the final decision is made.
Rhinoplasty surgeries are performed in two different methods, open and closed. Open surgery technique makes it easier to intervene in the middle cartilage of the nose as it allows the surgeon to perform the application visually. Therefore, it is more preferred. Regardless of the technique chosen, only the changes decided in the pre-operative examination are made in rhinoplasty surgery.
In nasal aesthetic surgeries, correcting the arched bones, raising the nasal tip, adding volume by injecting if necessary, rasping the nasal tip if it is long, correcting the nasal elements, revising the cartilages if the nasal ridge is curved, correcting the disproportion are the most preferred applications. After all the decided improvements are made, the incisions are closed and the operation ends.
Post-rhinoplasty surgery is almost as important as the surgery stage. Therefore, the first priority of the patient should be patient and carefully protecting the nose area until the nose heals. Nasal dressing should be done regularly, and drugs such as painkillers, anti-inflammatory, anti-edema, and breathing medications should be used as prescribed by the doctor and without delay. In addition, sports should not be done for a while and should not be lying face down.
It is not possible for the nose structure to return to its previous state or to deteriorate the structure naturally 3-4 years after the nose surgery. Changes occur in a person’s nose only within the first year of rhinoplasty. In the first year after the nose surgery, the nose starts to settle slowly and reaches the final shape desired by the patient, on average, at the end of 1 year. In other words, the change in the first year after the operation is normal and positive.
Apart from this, deformation in the nasal structure does not occur naturally. However, at this point, it is useful to mention a few other details about the life of the nose aesthetics. As we said, the results of nasal aesthetics are permanent. However, as a result of traumas such as future accidents, the nose structure may change. As a result of traumas, the nose structure of people who have never had nasal aesthetics may also be deformed. Therefore, this situation has nothing to do with the permanence of nasal aesthetics.
Another issue is related to the age of the person. Since body development continues until the age of 17 for women and 18 for men, having a rhinoplasty at an early age creates difficulties in the permanence of rhinoplasty. As a matter of fact, as the body development of those under the age limit will continue, the changes in the nose continue after the surgery.
- In rhinoplasty surgeries, patients are usually discharged on the same day or the next day. After the surgery, there may be mild pain that can be relieved with pain medication. If necessary, a tampon is put into the nose for a few days.
- It is not expected to have very pronounced edema and bruises around the eyes. Even if this type of bruising occurs, it decreases in the days after surgery and disappears completely within 1-2 weeks.
- The swelling that occurs in the nose after the operation regresses slowly. It is known that the swelling of smokers regresses more slowly. Smoking is not recommended before and after the surgery, as this may cause healing and breathing problems.
- It is recommended to lie down with the head slightly elevated and apply cold compresses to the eyes in order to reduce bruising and swelling. The nasal plaster is removed by the doctor within an average of a week. There may be cases where the plaster cast is kept longer in different patients.